Saturday, June 16, 2018

When Yelling Does No Good


Mark 4:26-34
June 17, 2018
William G. Carter

Jesus said, “The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come.”

He also said, “With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.”

With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his disciples.


For all of his powerful deeds and compassionate works, Jesus was a storyteller. When he spoke about God, and how God rules over the heavens and the earth, he often used a story.

Once upon a time, a traveler fell among thieves, who robbed him and left him for dead. Two religious leaders passed him by, and the one who took care of him was a dreaded enemy. Which one is the true neighbor?

There was a man who had two sons. The younger boy ran off with a share of the family fortune, blew it all on wine, women, and the roulette table, then came back to his Daddy with his tail between his legs. Is it right to throw him a welcome home party?

A king threw a wedding banquet for his son. Invited a lot of people, none of them would come. Invited a lot more people, they all gave excuses. So he sent his servants to round up the kind of people who could never attend one of his parties… because that the kind of kingdom that he wanted to have.

Jesus doesn’t toss around a lot of doctrines. Nor does he offer a lot of “do’s” and “don’t’s.” He tells stories, and he leaves it to people like you and me to figure out what kind of truth may be inside those stories. So today, we have a couple of stories, each one taken from the experience of farming.

The second one isn’t actually a story at all. It doesn’t have a plot. In a good story, as you know, something has to happen. This happens, then this happens, then this… and in this story, hardly anything happens at all. There’s a little bitty seed, the smallest of all seeds. Somehow it grows, nobody quite knows how.

It’s a mustard seed, which grew into something called a “mustard shrub.” It was widely regarded as a weed. The kingdom of God is like a weed. It grows out of control. That’s the second story.

The first one is a bit more intentional. Once upon a time, a farmer scattered a lot of seed. It was something he wanted to grow, a crop that he intended to raise. But here’s the thing: the farmer throws around all that seed and then he goes to sleep. That’s the story. That’s all there is. One day the harvest will come, but for now…nothing happens.

I like that parable. I like it a lot. The farmer casts about some seed and lets it go. He does not hover. He cannot rush. He will not yell, because yelling would not speed up a thing. For the time being, nothing happens.

Do you suppose this is the way God is? That God is not a helicopter parent, buzzing around overhead to make sure we’re doing the right thing? That God does not hover, or wag the finger, or raise the voice? That God doesn’t plant a garden and then stand over it screaming, “Now start growing!” No, the farmer tosses around the seed and lets it go.

What I like about this parable is also what is most maddening about it. Nothing happens, or it doesn't look like anything's happening, or if it's happening, there is an unseen benevolence beyond our control. The lesson seems to be that God is in charge of his own kingdom. Imagine that! No amount of badgering, controlling, shrieking, convincing, cajoling, or conniving will advance the rule of God over all things. 

Maybe there’s a lesson here in parenting or grandparenting, or perhaps there’s a corrective for how our rookie parents once handled us. As I think of my own father, I don't remember him yelling very much. I often knew where he stood, but he also gave me a lot of room to make my own mistakes and to correct them. 

Like that summer night when I was nineteen or so. I was out on a date with a pretty woman. We drove around the car, we parked the car, we started up the car and drove around some more. Then we went to a place called “Pancho’s Pit” to get something to eat. The hour was late, it was time to take her home. So we went out to the car, kissed a little bit, and then I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened. Nothing at all. You know how when something doesn't work, you keep trying it again and again? Yep.

So about one in the morning I was forced to do the thing I dreaded: call home and see if I could score a ride home for me and my young lady friend. I mean, they always told me if you’re ever in trouble, call home, so I did. My father answered.

Whenever he answered the phone in the middle of the night, it always sounded like he had been awake for hours. In a deep voice, he said, “Yes?” I told him my dilemma and where I was. He asked no further questions and said, “See you in twenty minutes.” Twenty minutes later, here came the paneled station wagon. 

As it turned out, it was a busted distributor cap which I would have to fix the next day. Dad arrives, my friend and I get in back seat. He looks at me in the rear view mirrow, doesn’t say a word, but I know the look. So say to my friend, “How about if you ride in the front seat and I'll sit in the back?” Dad smiled. We took her home, dropped her off, I walked her to the door, climbed back into the front seat. We started up, and Dad said four words: “You never mentioned her.” I gulped. He said two more words: “Pretty girl.”

We drove the rest of the way home in silence. It was about two o’clock as we rolled into the garage. It seemed that I was going to get off without a speech. The car came to a stop. He turned off the engine. I reached for the door handle, breathing a sigh of relief, and Dad said, “Wait a minute.” I froze in horror. I braced for the speech. The silence was deafening.

Then he said it… know what he said to me? He said, “Just be glad that your mother didn't answer the phone.: That's all he said. He never had to raise his voice at all. 

Maybe you have noticed this is precisely how God works most of the time, how God parents us all. There’s no yelling, no badgering, no bullying, no exertion of influence. We have freedom to grow, freedom to flourish, freedom to mature, and freedom to both take note of, and respond to, the unseen kindness that grants us life.

It can be a terrible freedom. If God gives us the room, we can do all kinds of things. We can make all kinds of mistakes. Yet we also have the freedom to grow, to flourish, to change, to grow. And it can happen when it really doesn’t seem like anything is going on.

It’s like the wisdom from Malcolm Gladwell. He says, “If you do anything for ten thousand hours, you start to become good at it.” Twenty hours of work a week, for ten years; that’s a long time. Then you realize, “I can knit a sweater, I can write a novel, I can play the clarinet, I can run a marathon. It didn’t happen overnight; good things take a while. Even in the moment when the fog lifts and we get a clear-eyed view, we might just discover there’s some progress we have made… and it might even be in spite of us. The kingdom of God grows because God is at work. Usually just out of sight, but out there, staying busy, sometimes effecting change even in us.

I was talking to a medical professional the other day. I’ve been making regular visits, due to my sedentary, lazy, middle-aged life, and the effects of too much pepperoni pizza. In the middle of our conversation, I blurted out that I have begun walking on a treadmill. She looked at me in astonishment and said, “Are you feeling okay?” We both had a good laugh, and it felt good.

Sometimes good things happen, or healthy things happen, because God awakens us, or nudges us, or simply works behind the scenes. That is one way of saying that we shouldn't take a lot of credit for what's happening to us due to the grace and kindness of an unseen God. The seed is planted, it grows and bears fruit, and it happens even when we are asleep.

So if you are frustrated with your life, or dismayed at the general condition of the world, take heart. For this is God's world. And I think we can give God a good bit of the responsibility for how things are going to turn out. That's faith.

Perhaps you have heard the name of Angelo Roncalli. Ring a bell? Later in life, he took the name of Pope John 23rd. He presided over the Roman church in a time of enormous turmoil. It was John 23rd who oversaw a great many sweeping changes at the time of the Second Vatican Council: a less legalistic approach to faith, a turn away from a legacy of medieval gloom and doom, a change from worshiping only in Latin to the language of the people, an openness to non-Catholic Christians.

These were enormous changes, and they came with a high emotional toll on the Pope. He would stay up late at night, reflecting, fretting what would happen, worrying what he should do. Some nights he would open his heart in late night prayers, as he thought the trials and tribulations of the day. So he would say out loud, “Angelo, who governs the church? You – or the Holy Spirit?” After a pause, he added, “Very well then. Go to sleep, Angelo. Go to sleep.”

As for us, we can welcome the rule of God if we’re patient, if we hang in there and persist over the long haul. There’s a poem that I like, from the Jesuit scientist Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. My mom gave me a copy years ago, probably after years of putting up with my dad. The poem keeps popping up, so I think that’s a sign to give it to you. I’m going to read it, sit down for a minute, and then we’ll get on with the rest of the service. Here is the poem:
  
Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something
unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through
some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time.

And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually—let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don’t try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances
acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.

Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.


 (c) William G. Carter. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment