Saturday, July 18, 2020

Inescapably Yours


Psalm 139
July 18, 2020
William G. Carter

Lord, you have searched me and known me.
  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away.
You search out my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways.
     Even before a word is on my tongue, O Lord, you know it completely.
You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
     Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.
Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
     if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
     even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,”
     even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day,
     for darkness is as light to you.
For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
     I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
     Wonderful are your works; that I know very well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.
     In your book were written all the days that were formed for me,  
     when none of them as yet existed.
How weighty to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
     I try to count them, they are more than sand; I come to the end, I am still with you.
O that you would kill the wicked, O God, and that the bloodthirsty would depart from me—
     those who speak of you maliciously, and lift themselves up against you for evil!
Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord? Do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
     I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts.
            See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.


Here is one of the awkward truths of life these days: there is nowhere to hide. Everywhere we go, somebody is watching.

Back when security cameras were rare, we knew we were being tracked inside the local bank. Now the unseen eyes are everywhere. Silent cameras track us on the highway, in stores, stadiums, and elevators. Above our heads, there are satellite cameras with the ability to zoom in and see the pigment of a fruit fly’s eyes.

More and more of the planet is being mapped, so it is increasingly difficult to get lost. When my friend Louie moved to South Carolina some years ago, I was curious about the kind of house he bought. So I looked up his address on Google Maps – ever do this? There was the town, the street, and a picture of the front of his home, a nice ranch home. And on the day that camera car from Google drove by, there was Louie, waving from the garage.

I was intrigued to hear accounts of Ghislaine Maxwell, the British heiress. She has been accused of some terrible crimes. The FBI found her in the woods of New Hampshire after a year of hiding. Actually, they have known for a while where she was hiding. Nobody noticed when she bought a log frame mansion for a million dollars cash, but the authorities were watching.

There is not a lot of privacy anymore. Not a lot of anonymity.

When we record these worship services, if the organist plays a piece that somebody else has ever recorded, our software program dings, and we are evaluated for a copyright violation. Somebody just knows.

Do you order any books on Amazon? Amazon tracks every order and suggests similar books. They are watching, in order to make another sale.

Maybe you remember the Jason Bourne spy movies. The spies chase after Jason Bourne, the brainwashed assassin. Lot of action in those movies, but the primary theme is surveillance. There are cameras in London train stations, a bank in Zurich, a street corner in Manhattan. And these are old movies. Just think how many unnoticed eyes caught us on the last trip into town.

Our neighbors installed a security camera and pointed it at our house. I thought they knew our kids have grown and moved out, but maybe they aren’t watching our kids. Every Thursday night, when I take the garbage cans to the curb, the floodlight comes on, the red light on the camera flares up. So I turn to the camera and wave, sometimes creatively. I might as well give them a good show – they are watching. 

All this can sound intimidating. Somebody watches us. They track how we spend our money. They watch where we go. They anticipate what we are likely to do.

So it may be no great comfort to hear the Psalmist declare that God is watching, too. In fact, God is the Original Surveillance Officer. Adam and Eve were hiding in the Garden. God said, “Where are you? Where did you go?” Pretty soon, you realize that is a set up question. God knows. God already knows.

Abram and Sarai are told they will become parents for the first time. They are sufficiently ancient that Medicare is picking up the tab. A baby? Sounds like a ridiculous promise, so Sarai bursts out laughing. God’s angels say, “Why are you laughing?” She says, “I wasn’t laughing.” God says, “Oh yes, you were. I saw you. I heard you.” (Gen. 18:15)

Sometimes God’s observation is a good thing. God speaks up from a burning bush and says, “Moses, I have watched the misery of my enslaved people in Egypt. I have heard their cry. I have seen their suffering.” Moses is relieved to hear it, I think; God has taken notice. Moses is curious; God has noticed, so what will God do? And God says, “Here’s what I will do about the suffering I have heard and seen: Moses, I am sending you to contend with Pharoah.” Freedom happened because God knows. God sees. God hears everything.

Sometimes that is a spooky thing. Like all those resurrection stories in the New Testament. A stranger catches up with a couple of sad friends who grieve the death of Jesus and the loss of all their hopes. The stranger says, “What are you talking about?” He already knows. Yes, he knows. (Luke 24:18-27)

Or Doubting Thomas, that dim bulb among the disciples. He exclaims, “I’m not going to believe until I can stick my pinky in the nail holes.” So what does Jesus do? A week later he appears inside a locked room while they are hiding, and says, “Hey Thomas, here are the nail prints on my hands. Put your little finger here.” The Lord has been listening the whole time. He heard it all. He has seen it all. (John 20:24-27)

This can be intimidating. To realize God sees what we do, that God sees the dark thought, the foul deed, the shady deal. Nothing lies beyond the observation of our Lord.

Like King David, taking advantage of his royal privilege, to add another beautiful woman to his bedroom and kill off her husband in a useless act of war. The king thought he got away with the scheme. She was pregnant. He was the king. He plotted a cover up, probably paid some hush money. And the whole time, God was watching. So God sent the prophet Samuel to tell David what David had done – because God knew. God always knows. (2 Samuel 11:27)

There are no secrets if there is a God who sees us. No shadows in the presence of the light of the world.

This divine characteristic – omniscience, we call it – that God is all-knowing, has often prompted a lot of moral policing and finger-wagging, especially in the church. By the tenth century AD, the church had written a prayer that some of you know. This prayer for purity begins, “Almighty God, unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid.” God searches our hearts; the Psalmist knows this.

Yet the Psalmist knows something more. The God who watches our deeds and knows our thoughts is the God who knows “when I sit down and when I rise up.” That’s the language of a Good Parent. Every good parent tucks in the children at night and listens for when they wake. Every attentive Parent pulls back the curtain late at night and watches for the teenager to get home. My sister and I joked that, when we were out late at night, our mother slept with one eye open. She is a good Mom.

Psalm 139 says there is nowhere we can wander that God does not watch, nowhere we can go that God cannot get to us. “O Lord,” prays the Psalmist, “where could I ever get away from you?”

If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
     if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
     even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast.

It isn’t because God is nosey, it isn’t because God is controlling or manipulative, it isn’t because God is poised to pounce if we have a wayward word or deed, it isn’t because God is neglecting the asteroids. God watches because God cares about us. Whether we know it or now, we are in a relationship. God sees us because God has already claimed us. Life began with God, says the Psalmist, and all the way through and to the end, God leads and holds… because we are loved, because we are claimed.

The invitation is to trust this until we know it.

Did I ever tell you about my friend Carol? She is really something. We have been friends since the eighth grade. These days she runs a coffee shop in my hometown, and I like to visit when I can.

Some years ago, she started making the headlines on the sports page. She played some sports in high school, but that was high school. Some time in her late twenties, she started to jog, then run. She ran 10-K fundraisers and 26-mile marathons. I was curious about that, so she told me the story.

She was married and they had a little boy. The marriage had its bumps, as many marriages do, but both of them loved little Joey, provided for little Joey, until that one terrible night when little Joey died. It was a horrible thing, about the worst thing that could ever possibly happen to young parents. He wasn’t breathing. “From that point,” she confessed, “my life fell to pieces.”

Depression hit hard. Her husband was no help. The marriage came unraveled. Nobody could find a way to assist. To handle her own stress, Carol started to jog. No reason, really. It seemed the thing to do.

She said, "I'd get up in the morning, and the first thing I'd do is put on my sweats and start running. Maybe it was from shock more than anything else. I just needed to be moving. Months went by and I kept running. I don't know why. Was I running away from something? Running to find something? I don’t know.”

And then, one morning, she ran around a bend on a country road and she saw a church. Suddenly, she said, “in a flash I knew I was running away from God. I wanted nothing to do with God. God gave me a little boy, and I lost my little boy. God gave me a marriage, and I lost that, too. It was so unfair. What did this happen?”

Standing in the middle of the road, she said, “I let God have it. I yelled. I screamed. I told God, I’m not going to let you off the hook. The tears were in my eyes, as I started to jog, and then run. And the whole time, I had the strangest sensation. It was as if Somebody was listening. As if Somebody was running beside me. So I ran faster to get away, and he kept up.”

“When I got home, that feeling was still there. When I want for a run the next morning, I had the sense Somebody was running by my side. And then the profound realization came: God had been with me the whole time, with me for my whole life. His presence was inescapable and now I know it. My son is with God, and so am I.”

I said, “Is that how you will all those races?” She laughed and said, “Nah, it’s something to do on weekends.” She paused to make her point. “What really matters is that once I ran to get away from God; now I run to pray. Once I ran away from terrible pain; now I run to see God in all things.”

As the Psalmist sings, “Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?” Wherever I go, you are there.

This is the difference between a surveillant society that merely wants to consume us and an ever-present God who invites us to belong as beloved children. God was, God is, God ever shall be. God comes before, God follows after us, and all the while, God is with us to guide, challenge, and comfort.  

In one of his essays, Thomas Lynch reflected on the challenges of his work as a funeral director in Michigan. His work brings him into contact with people in the worst of circumstances. Earlier in his life, he confesses, this did a number on him. He would come home from a demanding day and worry about his own family. But even if he peeked through the bedroom door at night, he had to ultimately close the door and entrust his family to the providence of God. As he writes,

But faith is, so far as I know it, the only known cure for fear – the sense that someone is in charge here, is checking the ID’s and watching the borders. Faith is what my mother said: letting go and letting God – a leap into the unknown where we are not in control but always welcome.[1]

We are not in control but always welcome. We are known and loved by a God who pays attention to each one of us as a Parent loves the child. God’s providence surrounds us, and we can never outrun it. And no matter where we go, wherever we find ourselves, God is already there. So we pray for the eyes to see and pray for the heart to know.


(c) William G. Carter. All rights reserved.

Thanks to Thomas G. Long, whose article "Psalm 139 and the Eye of God" (Journal for Preachers, Pentecost 2020) shaped the thinking of this sermon.

[1] Thomas Lynch, The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade (New York Norton, 2009) 50-54.

No comments:

Post a Comment